Job Title: Social Protection Analyst (STC)
Reporting to: Task Team Leader
Appt Type: Short Term Consultant
Closing date: January 17, 2011
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Appointment: Local Hire
Objectives/Purpose of Assignment
The Jakarta office of the World Bank is looking to hire a local social protection analyst to work with the Bank’s social protection team leader, Mitchell Wiener. Social protection encompasses social insurance, social safety net and labor market issues. In the Jakarta office, the social protection specialist is also responsible for assisting with health insurance financing issues.
The primary purpose of the Bank’s social protection effort is to assist the government with the implementation of a robust, comprehensive and financially sustainable system of social protection that meets the needs of all Indonesians. This includes both the formal and informal labor markets. In the next year, the primary focus of the Bank will be the following:
- Assisting the government with the implementation of the national social security system (SJSN) under UU 40/2004
- Assisting the government with reform of the civil service pension and endowment (THT) programs
- Working with TNP2K team in the Vice President’s office on reform of the Jamkesmas health program for the poor. The focus will be on improvements to the design, administration and cost analysis of the program
- Working with the Vice President’s office on analysis of universal health care options and costs.
Scope of Work
This position requires an individual with maturity, good judgment and the ability to work well with teams within the Bank and with government officials. Key requirements for this position include:
- A Masters degree in Economics, public policy, social protection, actuarial science or a related field
- Minimum of five years of relevant work experience
- Strong English writing and speaking ability
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Advanced knowledge of Excel
- Significant knowledge and educational background in at least one of the core social protection areas with pensions and/or health insurance experience preferred.
Also highly valued is experience working with the government, and particularly with the Ministry of Finance, prior experience with the World Bank or other donor organizations, strong mathematical skills, and good knowledge and understanding of Indonesian politics.
Deliverables / Specific Outputs Expected from Consultant
There are no specific pre-conceived deliverables expected from the Consultant. However, the Consultant will be expected to prepare regular written analytical reports, Power Point presentations, and Excel spreadsheet models. The Consultant will also be expected to attend meetings with senior government officials with Mr. Wiener on a regular basis and will also represent Mr. Wiener at meetings when he cannot attend. The Consultant will also have regular interactions with government officials on technical matters. Analytical papers will require good research skills and use of the internet, as well as the ability to interact with and obtain information from program stakeholders.
Experience, Education and Skill Sets
- A Masters degree in a related area is highly preferred with at least two years of relevant experience. Of particular value is knowledge of pensions and health insurance. Also highly valued is experience working with the government, and particularly with the Ministry of Finance.
- This work will require regular interaction with senior government officials, strong English writing and speaking ability, and excellent research and analytical skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and strong mathematical skills are a big plus. The consultant should have significant knowledge and educational background in at least one of the core social protection areas.
The Analyst will initially be hired under a short-term consulting contract (STC) working full time from February, 1 to June 30, 2011. Depending on the program needs and performance.
HOW TO APPLY
- Please only submit your cover letter, CV, and references (three names with full contact details) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- State the job title you apply and your name on the e-mail subject.
- Deadline of application is January 17, 2011. Late submission will not be considered; hard copy applications and phone inquiries will not be accepted.