Title: Gender and Development Officer
Department/Division: Viet Nam Resident Mission
1. JOB PURPOSE:
To support ADB’s work in gender and development in partnership with the government, development partners, the private sector and civil society organizations. To assist the Resident Mission (RM) in addressing ADB’s strategic objectives related to gender and development; promote ADB and the Government’s policies related to gender and development and the design, preparation, and implementation of loans, grants and technical assistance projects in these areas.
2. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
Policy Support Area
- Supports the Country Director, Viet Nam Resident Mission (VRM), ADB’s Headquarters missions and Resident Mission (RM) staff in carrying out policy dialogue with the Government on relevant social development (SD) aspects of ADB Operations.
- Maintains regular contacts with Government Agencies (Executing and Implementing Agencies) and identifies capacity development needs for potential support in the area GAD.
- Monitors key policy reforms related to GAD in ADB priority sectors.
- Assists the RM in the overall implementation of ADB’s Policy on Gender and Development (GAD) and the ADB-wide GAD Plan of Action.
- Assists in processing and implementing loans/grants and technical assistance with respect to the areas of gender and development, community empowerment and social inclusion, labor, and other non-safeguards social dimensions.
- Ensures adequate incorporation of consultation and participation (C&P) approaches in the design of all ADB Operations.
- Develop and administer stand-alone projects, as required, to enhance the social development and gender equality results of ADB operations.
- Develop the social development and gender capacity of ADB’s Executing and Implementing Agencies by preparing and conducting training seminars for Government officials and project staff.
- Assists in the implementation of the Country Partnership Strategy (CPS) and in preparing its annual updates by: (i) updating the Country Gender Assessments; and (ii) providing inputs in the formulation of the CPS, relevant sector road-maps, and annual updates.
Other Operational Support
- Prepares background and issues paper on gender issues and contributes to the identification and documentation of good practices.
- Interact with multi- and bilateral agencies, government of developing member countries (DMCs) and women’s non-government organizations on GAD/SD issues.
- Represents ADB in the various development partners’ working group meetings on GAD/SD, and facilitates inter-agency coordination.
- Assists in development partners’ and NGOs’ coordination as it relates to GAD/SD.
- Assist in other operational support tasks as may be requested.
3. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
A recognized university degree, preferably at post graduate level; in social science, management or related fields.
4. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level.
- Minimum of five years of relevant professional experience in related field, with demonstrated knowledge of GAD issues, experience in project formulation and project management.
- Sound knowledge of government administrative systems and procedures.
- Exposure to policy dialogue on GAD issues, pro-poor policies, and social development.
- Good understanding of ADB’s guidelines, and Government policies and programs in social sectors.
- Strong interpersonal skills and teamwork and ability to develop rapport internally and externally in a multicultural environment.
- Strong conceptual skills and ability to identify issues and appropriate actions at the field office level. Strong planning and organizing skills to handle a multitude of tasks under given timelines. Strong oral and written communication skills. Good writing and speaking skills in English are essential.
- Appropriate level of office technology skills. Proficiency in computers, especially word processing, spreadsheets, and information technologies required.
- Familiarity with local languages and institutions.
5. CORE COMPETENCIES:
Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Can give help and advice to others based on their specialist area of knowledge and skills
- Uses technical knowledge and skills to complete complex work
- Uses technical knowledge and skills to improve work systems
- Works to meet needs of clients according to ADB policy
- Communicates often with clients and seeks to understand and anticipate their needs
- Adapts own style to suit client preferences
- Find ways to reduce time and cost of completing work
- Monitors work and progress and makes improvements
- Works with others to overcome problems and find alternative ways to complete work when necessary
- Provides practical support and encouragement for team members
- Encourages team members to work together and benefit from diversity in different views, culture, nationality, and gender
- Sets priorities for the team and ensures they are followed through
Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Learns new skills and knowledge and applies them
- Continuously finds new solutions to problems
- Leads the team in sharing knowledge and expertise
6. IMMEDIATE REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS:
Country Director and/or designated Professional Staff (PS)
7. IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS:
The Asian Development Bank’s vision is a region free of poverty. Established in 1966 and headquartered in Manila, Philippines, ADB’s multicultural staff come from over 50 member countries. The advertised position is a local staff position with a local remuneration package. It is open only to persons who are nationals and residents of Viet Nam. While the position advertised is for the Viet Nam Resident Mission (VRM), ADB staff must be prepared to serve in any location outside the Resident Mission at the discretion of Management.
Interested applicants should quote Ref. No. EXT-NO-10-005-VRM and job title and submit their completed electronic application form and curriculum vitae not later than 30 August 2010 to:
ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK – VIET NAM RESIDENT MISSION
Units 701-706, Sun Red River Building
23 Phan Chu Trinh Street, Hoan Kiem District
Hanoi, Viet Nam
Fax: +84 4 933 1373
An electronic application form is available at http://www.adb.org/Employment/PHF-ADB-Application-RM.xls
Applications lacking the job reference number and job title or using the wrong e-mail address will not be considered.
21 August 2010
To: Human Resources Manager
(Genere Mix Media)
I’m looking for a position as a waiter and that is why I’m writing this cover letter today. I noticed you are seeking for such workers as you expressed in your advertisement on Jakarta Post.
I have experience in several areas of hotel food service: banquets and weddings, private parties and business meetings. I’m fast on my feet, can carry large trays, and enjoy taking care of patrons.
I am enclosing my curriculum vitae for your perusal and I am looking forward to the opportunity to attend an interview I’ll be happy to accommodate your schedule. I really appreciate being considered for this job. I know that waiter are in great demand and I’d be pleased to be one of them at your hotel.