Job Title: Energy Specialist
Job Family: Energy and Mining
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
The World Bank works closely with the Government of Indonesia to improve services in the energy sector given its strategic importance for sustaining and accelerating economic growth while contributing to direct improvements in people’s lives. The World Bank has a substantial energy sector portfolio and pipeline that are expanding rapidly. Key areas of focus include the power sector (generation and transmission), natural gas sector, geothermal and other renewable energies, energy efficiency and rural electrification. Investment operations are complemented by an increasingly vibrant sector dialogue. Against this backdrop, EASIS seeks to hire an outstanding local Energy Specialist to be part of an integrated, interdisciplinary Energy Team which includes members based in both Jakarta and Washington DC.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3 year renewable term appointment.
- Business development: help identify key business opportunities in the energy sector for World Bank assistance and help build strong relationships with clients, including state-owned enterprises (SOEs) and government agencies.
- Project Preparation: provide substantive input to project preparation teams under the leadership of task team leaders to evaluate the feasibility of investments from a technical or financial perspective using the specialist’s technical expertise. Contributions will be in the form of written analysis and other inputs to be included in project documents as well as follow-up with clients, country counterparts and other stakeholders.
- Project supervision: help oversee the implementation of projects in the World Bank’s energy portfolio under the leadership of World Bank task managers. This task will require both technical as well as project management expertise.
- Policy advice: Help conduct analytical work and prepare policy documents related to various energy sector related issues that meet the highest standards for advising World Bank clients.
The selected candidate should have the following qualifications:
- Master’s degree or equivalent academic qualification in a relevant discipline, e.g. power engineering, energy economics etc.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in the energy sector with specialized technical expertise in at least one of the following sub-sectors: power sector, renewable energy, geothermal power, rural electrification, energy efficiency or natural gas supply.
- A good understanding of Indonesia’s overall energy sector issues, prevailing policies and regulatory environment.
The ideal candidate will also have the following skills:
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams based in multiple locations on diverse and complex tasks;
- Strong client orientation with the ability to diplomatically develop consensus to support the energy sector program and objectives;
- A drive for results while working with limited supervision and under tight timelines;
- Ability to think innovatively and negotiate effectively;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Bahasa Indonesia (an English writing sample is requested upon application);
- Willingness to travel within Indonesia as well as internationally as necessary.
Closing Date: 09-Sep-2010