Post Title: Liaison Officer/Chief of Dili Antenna Office
Post Level: ALD Equivalent to P4
Duty Station: Dili, Timor Leste
Duration: 2 years (with 1 year probationary period)
Closing Date: 1 July 2010
The UNESCO Programme Implementation Facility in Dili was established in 2004 within the framework of the UNESCO Director General’s visit in July 2003 and in support of the Government’s effort in capacity-building and in elaborating long-term strategies in the priority areas of education, science, culture and communication/informatics. This Office conducts its activities under the auspices of the Office of the Representative to Timor Leste, based in Jakarta. The presence of this Implementation Facility aims to ensure closer cooperation between UNESCO and the Government of Timor Leste and the strengthening of technical assistance across all fields within UNESCO’s mandate.
The Liaison Officer will provide overall leadership in managing the day-to-day operation of the unit and supervision of support staffs. The Liaison Officer reports to the Representative to Timor Leste for the effective functioning of the Programme Implementation Unit and coordinates extensively with the multi-disciplinary Programme Specialists at the Jakarta Office in the delivery of in-country programme/project activities.
Under the authority and supervision of the Director of UNESCO Jakarta Office, and in collaboration with the multidisciplinary programme and administrative team of the Office of the Representative to Timor Leste located in Jakarta, the incumbent serve as Liaison Officer/Chief of the Dili Antenna Office. More specifically the incumbent will assume the functions of:
A – As Liaison Officer
- Represent UNESCO in the UNCT meetings and in all relevant UN coordination mechanism, taking an active part in such meetings, providing inputs to joint assessments and analysis, policy development and programming, and ensuring appropriate follow-up on joint decisions;
- Maintain close consultation and cooperation relations with the relevant UN Agencies, Government Officer, and Institutions, stakeholders donor Agencies and other development partner in Dili with a view to providing input for planning, programming, generating projects and mobilizing extra-budgetary resources.
- Maintain close contacts with other UN Agencies and the donor community in Dili, Timor Leste and undertake fund mobilization efforts in particular for output and result areas, identified in the UNDAF and UCPD for Timor Leste. The incumbent is expected to pro-actively engage in proposal development and fund raising initiative.
B – Chief of Dili Antenna
- Oversee and facilitate the implementation of UNESCO programmes and activities in Dili and thereto related resources , whether regular or extra-budgetary resources. Interact with all relevant UNESCO entities in close consultation and supervision of the Director/Jakarta Office and in coordination with UNCT. Contribute to progress and final reports on extra-budgetary projects presented to donors. Work closely as/when required with the other offices of the region
- Assure the daily management and functioning of the Dili Antenna, overseeing staff and personnel, as well as overall administration and operations, ensuring effective internal controls, in close cooperation with the Jakarta Office’s Administrative Officer and support services. Ensure in particular that staff, consultants and other personnel are duly informed of and abide by MOSS standards and other UNDSS security instructions specific to Dili, Timor Leste.
- Submit to Director, UNESCO Jakarta Office, monthly action-oriented reports on programme delivery and management of the Antenna, clearly identifying and tracking follow-up actions by the Antenna and issues to be handled by the UNESCO Office/ Jakarta, along with proposed courses of action. In addition, immediately alert Director, Jakarta Office, of any urgent problem or follow-up action required by UNCT or UN mechanisms that call for backstopping and support or for institutional commitment.
Perform any other related task that may be assigned by the Director of Office/Jakarta
- Knowledge of the UN systems, financial and administrative rules and practices is an asset
- Strong communication skills (spoken and written)
- Team worker/builder, proven record in working collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals and ensure timely delivery of results.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, with efficiency, competence, integrity and in harmony with people of different national backgrounds
- Strong and proven fund raising skills
- Strong analytical skills and ability to analyze complex issues, with an ability to identify priority activities and assignments and make necessary adjustments as required
- Ability to work under heavy pressure and beyond normal working hours whenever necessary, while maintaining accuracy and paying attention to details.
Educations: University Degree at masters level, ideally with in any of the disciplines corresponding to UNESCO’s mandate in Education, Science, Culture and Communication/Information.
Work Experience: A minimum of 7-10 years relevant work experience in project coordination and implementation functions in an international organization. Computer literate (i.e. Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, Access). Strong management skills, including ability to provide strategic guidance, technical oversight, mentor staff, build strong teams, develop workplans and manage budgets and project expenditures. A strong background in programme development and fundraising is also essential.
Languages: Must have fluency in spoken and written English and ability to draft documents and express views in a clear and concise manner. Working knowledge of Portuguese, Tetum and/or Bahasa Indonesia is an asset. Excellent written analytical, presentation and reporting skills, with proven skill in writing reports and project management plans/delivery reports.
Submit your application letter accompanied by updated Curriculum Vitae with salary history and 3 professional references to:
The Administrative Officer
Jl. Galuh (II) No. 5
Fax: (6221) 7279 6489
We shall only respond to short-listed candidate and with whom the organization has an interest.