Operations Officer, Palm Oil
International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group (WBG), fosters sustainable economic growth in developing countries by financing private sector investment, mobilizing private capital in local and international financial markets, and providing advisory services to businesses and governments. Our purpose is to create opportunity for people to escape poverty and improve their lives in the areas where it’s needed most.
IFC Indonesia aims to: (1) reduce the impact of climate change; (2) increase rural incomes; (3) promote sustainable urbanization. To achieve these objectives, it combines Investment and Advisory Services to expand access to finance, improve access to infrastructure, strengthen commodity based value chains, and improve the business climate. The IFC Indonesia Agribusiness Advisory Services program focuses on sustainable supply chain development through lead firms in a limited number of sub-sectors with large numbers of smallholders. A key component of the program is to improve the incomes and living standards of rural households in Indonesia through closer integration by them with the commercial sector. Scalable and replicable projects that increase the transparency and efficiency of linkages between smallholders and commercial markets are developed and implemented, and lead firm-led projects interact closely with Investment Climate and Access to Finance projects to achieve broad, sub sectoral impact.
Scope of the Position
The Operations Officer, Palm Oil, is an experienced professional whose knowledge and skills enable him/her to undertake project development, project implementation, and knowledge management initiatives with limited direct supervision with relation to IFC Indonesia’s palm oil program and WBG strategy, especially the pillars related to Benefit Sharing and Sustainable Private Sector Investment. In close cooperation with other team members, the Operations Officer, Palm Oil, will focus on:
- developing and challenging program/project assumptions and logical frameworks, preparing and vetting concept notes, and preparing internal approval documents,
- guiding project implementation, including managing consulting teams, c) measuring and reporting project results, d) identifying potential clients and stakeholders and managing relations with them, e) conducting applied research in areas relevant to private-sector agriculture development, especially as it relates to smallholder palm oil development and sustainability, and f) providing leadership in gathering and sharing knowledge about IFC oil palm smallholder development experience.
The work requires extensive coordination with other IFC business lines and with other WBG units and it will require a welt-organized, proactive person, with the ability to represent IFC in large and small gatherings to private and public sector stakeholders and to speak up appropriately.
- Master’s degree from a reputable university with concentration in agriculture, business, economics, natural resources or development related topic.
- Strong computer skills, with an emphasis on Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Strong oral and written English skills, including ability to write and edit project/program documents. Persuasive writing ability preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare proposals, concept papers and reports to a high-level of English proficiency.
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to build cooperative networks.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Experience managing a project, preferably donor funded, including project setup and exit.
- Ability to anticipate and meet deadlines.
- Ability and comfort working with limited supervision and to think independently.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently, and to articulate issues and recommend solutions.
- Minimum five years working in a position with significant decision-making responsibility, preferably at least three years with an agribusiness firm.
- Ability to work effectively under time pressure with high degree of accuracy and with a strong capacity to produce quality work.
- Proven ability to demonstrate initiative, monitor issues and tasks, meet deadlines and priorities, and ability to work in a team.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently, articulate issues and recommend practical solutions.
Complete job description is available at:
Please submit your application online.
Closing date for application is April 24, 2011.
All applications will be treated in strict confidence and ONLY short-listed candidates will be contacted. No telephone coils, faxes or letters will be accepted.
IFC’s vision is that people should have the opportunity to escape poverty and improve their lives. www.ifc.org/indonesia