Education Development Center, Incvan NGO-managed education program operating in seven provinces in Indonesia seeks qualified candidates based in Jakarta Office for the following vacant position:
READING PROGRAM MANAGER
The Reading Program Manager (RPM) will be responsible for:
- Overseeing the implementation of the DBE 2 Classroom Reading Program.
- Together with an International Reading Specialist, the RPM will design and implement professional development activities for project field staff and a program of training and onsite teacher mentoring for Grade 1-3 teachers involved in DBE 2 reading activities in over 1,000 schools across seven provinces.
- The RPM will liaise closely with the Reading Program Coordinators in the six DBE 2 provincial offices, providing technical support and guidance.
- The RPM will also work closely with DBE 2’s grants and procurement teams, providing assistance related to the development and review of grants applications and procurement of non-text book reading materials.
- Possess a bachelor’s degree in a field related to reading instruction/language acquisition or education, or a relevant combination of professional and education experience. Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of five years of classroom teaching experience including a strong background in primary education (early primary strongly preferred)
- Direct experience in designing and implementing teacher training activities related to language instruction, reading and writing
- Two to five years of experience in a teacher support position such as pre-service teacher education, in-service teacher development in the field of language acquisition and/or reading and writing in lower primary preferred
- Demonstrated ability to provide both English to Bahasa Indonesia and Bahasa Indonesia to English translation
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of language acquisition, second language instruction, and the teaching of reading and writing in tower primary learners
- Knowledge and understanding of children’s literature and ideally Indonesian folk literature
- Ability to review and assess appropriate children’s literature for use in lower primary classrooms
- Ability to transfer skills and knowledge to teachers and teacher support providers by using a variety of adult teaching strategies including problem solving, demonstration, and mentoring.
- Demonstrated organizational and logistical abilities. Must be able to plan, organize, and use time effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and spoken English language ability, in addition to fluency in Bahasa Indonesia
- Computer literate, including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience working on USAID-funded projects or international development activities strongly preferred
- Highly organized and work well under pressure.
- Have good interpersonal skills and value working in a collaborative environment.
- Self motivated, ability to take initiative
Send a CV and cover letter to our email address: DBE21ndonesia@edc.org
Please keep attachments small. All applications due before 29 June 2009
Only short listed candidates will be interviewed
The recruitment process regardless of race, ethnic origin, gender, disability and religious beliefs