THE ASEAN SECRETARIAT IN JAKARTA INVITES
APPLICATIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING POSITION
SENIOR PROGRAM OFFICER
THE JAPAN-ASEAN INTEGRATION FUND (JAIF) PROGRAMME
ASEAN and Japan enjoy long years of solid and beneficial relations as “partners thinking together, acting together, and sharing a future vision” and this strategic partnership will be enduring. Japan has been a major development partner and contributor for more than three decades to the political, economic and social development of ASEAN.
The Japan-ASEAN Integration Fund (JAIF) was officially established in March 2006, based on the pledge from then Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi at the Ninth ASEAN-Japan Summit held in December 2005 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, to assist the integration of ASEAN through the ASEAN-Japan cooperation funds. In particular, the JAIF has been established to support ASEAN’s integration efforts to create the ASEAN Community, by facilitating effective implementation of the Vientiane Action Programme (VAP); and the implementation of the three blueprints of the ASEAN Community and the IAI Work Plan 2 (2009-2015), including narrowing development gaps among ASEAN Member States; and promote greater cooperation between ASEAN and Japan. ASEAN and the Government of Japan had agreed to set up JAIF Management Team (JMT) at the ASEAN Secretariat in order to enhance effective utilisation of JAIF in support of ASEAN community building and integration efforts.
The objectives of JMT are to jointly formulate and implement JAIF funded programmes/projects together with ASEAN. JMT will be responsible for planning, design, management, implementation and programming of JAIF funded programmes/projects. The JMT will report to the JAIF Management Committee (JMC) comprising ASEAN Member States, the Government of Japan and the ASEAN Secretariat.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide operational support to JAIF Program Director through the Program Coordinators.
- Provide support to the Program Coordinator in the development of JAIF Work Plan. Provide management support for the implementation of activities related to enhance effective utilisation of JAIF in support of ASEAN community building and integration efforts, which includes:
- Facilitate meetings among ASEC key personnel and JAIF Management Support Team on the initial stage of the activities and further steps to be undertaken;
- Assist relevant ASEC desk officers in the preparation stage of the activities i.e. development of project terms of reference, project costing, procurement, proposal review, contracting, etc;
- Provide guidelines for the selected consultants/organisations in consultation with relevant ASEC desk officers prior to the commencement of the activities;
- Coordinate and liaise with the selected consultants/organisations to conduct their tasks, monitor progress of the tasks, development of reports and its finalisation which may involve proofing, redrafting, assessing progress against project milestones (inception, draft, and final reports); o Facilitate workshops/seminars and other appropriate events in coordination with relevant ASEC desk officers and consultants to support the dissemination of JAIF related activities and findings;
- Provide technical support in the preparation of JAIF Progress Reports and Completion Reports.
- Draft minutes of meeting when necessary.
- Other tasks at the request of the Program Director and Program Coordinators, as appropriate.
- Graduate/Postgraduate degree, preferably in public policy or development assistance or relevant policy area.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience in development cooperation or relevant field.
- Proven ability in programme/project formulation and management as well as financial and administrative management
- Solid understanding of international and regional issues, knowledge of ASEAN programmes and activities. Knowledge of ASEAN-Japan strategic relations is an advantage.
- High-level interpersonal, negotiation and communication skills, including experience in cross-cultural environment and international settings
- Proven ability to develop and maintain sound working relationships with government representatives, public and private sector organisations and other stakeholders
- Proven high-level analytical skills including use of Microsoft Office applications, and ability to provide clear and concise reports.
- Excellent command of English, written and spoken.
Remuneration & Benefit:
The successful candidates will initially be contracted for two (2) years, subject to initial three (6) months probation period. An attractive remuneration package will be negotiated with experience and qualification of the candidate. Renewal of contract on annual basis will be negotiated subject to the agreement among the three parties (Appointee, ASEAN Secretariat and Government of Japan).
How to apply:
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org highlighting your suitability and potential contribution to the position together with a detailed CV, including a recent passport-sized photograph and certified true copies of educational certificates obtained, and completed Employment Application Form, which can be downloaded at www.asean.org/opportunities.
Please indicate on the subject heading: Application for Senior Programme Officer, The Japan-ASEAN Integration Fund Programme.
Application papers should reach the ASEAN Secretariat by 10 September 2010. The Selection Committee’s decision is final and only short-listed candidates will be notified.