Energy and Outreach Adviser
Are you a highly motivated individual that would like to work on the biggest threat to global security?
Do you have a wealth of experience in energy policy, production, efficiency, or new technologies?
Are you a good communicator capable of promoting hard and complex messages to diverse audiences using a range of different and innovative media?
If so we would like to talk to you.
The British Embassy Jakarta is currently seeking to fill the following vacancies
Promoting a low carbon, high growth global economy is one of the key policy goals of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and its missions overseas. The British Embassy is building a new team to promote the climate security agenda, we are looking for an advisor to focus on energy policy and to assist the team/mission with stakeholder communication.
The jobholder will work in the Climate Change and Economy Section working closely with colleagues in the Political, Press and Public Affairs and Commercial Sections in the British Embassy Jakarta and the other British Embassies and High Commissions in South East Asia, reporting to the Team Leader based in Jakarta.
The successful candidate will:
- Build strategies to develop low carbon intensive energy policies in Indonesia.
- Working with media, civil society, and business and government bodies to promote lower carbon economic development in Indonesia and persuading key stakeholders that a stable climate is essential for a secure, prosperous and equitable future.
- Collecting information and reporting on climate change and energy policy in including vulnerability to climate induced changes.
- Promoting dialogue between Indonesia and UK counterparts on the international climate change negotiations, and persuading Indonesian interlocutors to support an ambitious successor to the Kyoto protocol.
- Promoting UK, EU and wider UNFCCC programmes such as the CDM and CTF, designed to mitigate and adapt against climate change
- Identifying project opportunities to promote a lower carbon intensity energy framework in Indonesia, and implementing this activity.
- Organising visits (both to Indonesia and the UK) for senior stakeholders related to climate security.
- Acting as a focal point on climate change related energy issues in the Embassy.
The successful candidate will have:
- Significant expertise within the energy sector, preferably with a minimum 4 years relevant working experience
- A degree (preferably Masters degree) – Majoring in a Science based subject (e.g. engineering, environmental studies or related)
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, and experience within public communications outreach
- Able to think creatively about how to achieve British Government low carbon objectives in the local environment.
- Able to work efficiently without close supervision, including managing projects.
- An enthusiastic and organised team player.
- A good understanding of climate change and energy policy is essential.
The successful candidate will get:
- The British Embassy is an equal opportunities employer. It offers an attractive package of compensation and benefits including annual bonuses, annual leave and medical cover. Considerable training opportunities will also be available.
How to apply
To apply please submit, a copy of your CV (maximum 3 pages), 2 references from previous employers, 1 passport size photograph and a letter explaining your suitability for this position to: JakartaJob.Applications@fco.gov.uk
Please note that all applications not sent to email address above will not be taken into consideration. Only successful applicants will be contacted. Previous applicants need not apply.
The position is subject to achieving the necessary level of security clearance.