THE ASEAN SECRETARIAT
INVITES ASEAN NATIONALS TO APPLY
FOR THE FOLLOWING VACANCY
SENIOR OFFICER INTERNAL AUDIT
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Secretariat is the nerve centre of ASEAN, a regional inter-governmental organization founded in 1967, to promote peace and stability, sustained economic growth, shared prosperity and social progress. It comprises the ten countries of Southeast Asia.
The entry into force of the ASEAN Charter on 15 December 2008 had provided new impetus to ASEAN’s integration efforts by establishing a legal and institutional framework required to achieve the ASEAN Community by 2015. This includes the newly approved organisational structure of the ASEAN Secretariat that is aligned to the requirements of the Charter and the three Blueprints of the ASEAN Political-Security Community (APSC), the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC), and the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community (ASCC). The ASEAN Secretariat is therefore well positioned to provide the necessary functions required to effectively support the community building process under the Charter and the Blueprints.
Currently the ASEAN Secretariat is looking for a qualified candidate to fill the position of Senior Officer Internal Audit, who will work under the Internal Audit & Evaluation Division, Office of the Secretary-General. This division conducts all activities relating to internal auditing, quality management systems, and independent evaluation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Direct, manage and supervise the internal auditing activities in the ASEAN Secretariat (ASEC).
- Prepare and update annual work plans and ensure that it is fully implemented on time and within budget.
- Develop and continuously improve internal audit methodology and tools, including audit work programs, risk assessment, process and control documentation techniques, flowcharting, sampling, workpaper documentation, and report templates.
- Conduct regular audits to verify compliance with established financial rules and procedures, staff regulations, and other administrative pronouncements.
- Conduct various types of reviews and risk-based audits, such as financial, administrative/management, performance, operations, IT/IS, and compliance audits in accordance with international standards for internal auditing.
- Monitor and report on the status of audit issues, recommendations, management response/actions until satisfactory completion or achievement of desired results.
- Serve as expert advisor, advocate and champion in establishing and maintaining a formal risk management system in ASEC.
- Develop, implement and monitor an anti-fraud and corruption unit, tasked with creating policies, procedures and pertinent mechanisms.
2. Manage and maintain the Quality Management System (QMS) / ISO programme.
- Conduct compliance audits of ISO quality procedures.
- Prepare for and assist audits by independent external quality auditors.
- Establish and maintain mechanisms for ASEC staff to continuously improve processes in line with the ISO programme.
- Develop and control all ISO system documentation.
3. Develop, execute and manage activities and reporting on independent evaluation of developmental projects and programmes jointly undertaken by ASEAN with other organizations/countries.
4. Plan, execute, and manage professional development training, awareness raising and similar activities to continuously improve audit competency and raise understanding within ASEC of governance, risks, controls, QMS and independent evaluation.
- Contribute to the development of best practices within the Audit Committee.
- Identify training needs, develop training programs and materials, and conduct workshops for audit staff on technical as well as soft skills.
- Advanced university degree in accounting, audit, business administration, economics, commerce or related field, with professional qualifications in auditing (CIA, CISA, CGAP, CFE, etc).
- Working knowledge of and experience with international auditing standards, principles and practice guides developed by the International Organization of Supreme Audit Institutions (INTOSAI) and the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA).
- Preferably with knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
- Possess a high degree of independence, objectivity and integrity in all aspects of personal and work activities/relationships.
- Sound corporate, strategic and business planning skills.
- Demonstrated ability to perform and/or manage the following services:
- Financial/compliance audits; Performance audits (value for money audits) of systems and functions; Investigations – procedures, interview techniques, etc. and Advisory services.
- A sound understanding of international and regional issues, and knowledge of and commitment to ASEAN ideals.
- A minimum of six (6) years of leadership and working experience in a tier-one audit firm or equivalent experience in internal auditing within a multinational organization.
- Demonstrated ability in leading a team of auditors in a complex work environment.
- High-level interpersonal, negotiation and communication skills, including experience in cross-cultural environment and international settings.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain sound working relationships with public and private sector organisations and other stakeholders.
- Competency in general PC, SQL databases and networking technologies, including advanced skills on Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Working experience with SunSystems ERP software or other similar mid-level ERP application. Additional skills for ERP add-ons such as FRx, Crystal Reports or business intelligence tools would be highly desirable.
- Proven ability for accuracy under pressure and adherence to deadlines.
- Excellent command of English, written and spoken.
Familiarity with diplomatic practices and protocol. Other required qualities are: computer literacy and proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office; ability to multitask, work long and irregular hours, and perform outside the usual job scope; ability to function effectively independently and as part of a team; and a willingness to travel on short notice.
Remuneration and Benefits:
Successful candidate will be offered the post with a probation period of six months and monthly salary starting from USD 2,900. There are other applicable benefits which include housing, medical, education of dependent children, gratuity, and annual performance bonus. Upon completion of the probationary period, the candidate will be confirmed for up to three-year contract, inclusive of the six month probationary period, in the first instance.
How to apply:
Send your application to email@example.com highlighting your suitability and potential contribution to the position together with a detailed CV, including a recent passport-sized photograph and certified true copies of educational certificates obtained, and completed Employment Application Form, which can be downloaded at ww.asean.org/opportunities.
Please indicate on the subject heading: Application for Senior Officer Internal Audit.
Application papers should reach the ASEAN Secretariat by 31 October 2010.
The Selection Committee’s decision is final and only short-listed candidates will be notified.