ASEAN‐AUSTRALIA DEVELOPMENT COOPERATION PROGRAM (AADCP) PHASE II INVITES APPLICATIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING VACANCY
SENIOR ECONOMIC PROJECT DESIGN/IMPLEMENTATION SPECIALIST
The ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) Blueprint vision is to transform ASEAN into a single market and production base that is highly competitive and fully integrated into the global community by 2015. The economic integration goals will include, among others, the elimination of tariffs, free movement of professionals, a streamlined customs clearance procedure, and enhanced infrastructure development.
In the implementation of the various economic agreements constituting the architecture of the AEC, ASEAN Member States are committed to the AEC Blueprint and are supported by the Government of Australia through the ASEAN‐Australia Development Cooperation Program (AADCP) II. This position is supported by AADCP II.
The purpose of the AEC Department is to lead and manage the implementation of the AEC Blueprint. The AEC Department is divided into a) Market Integration Directorate, and b) Finance, Industry & Infrastructure Directorate. This position reports to the Strategic Planning and Coordination Division and will work closely with the Finance, Industry & Infrastructure Directorate and Market Integration Directorate.
In supporting the Strategic Planning and Coordination Division, the broad functions of this position will be to:
- Prepare strategic and operational work plans for ASEC’s AEC implementation support work, based on priorities of the AEC Blueprint and other sectoral work plans (and similar documents).
- Ensure the effective and efficient identification, design, appraisal, approval and implementation of AEC implementation support ‘projects’, with a particular focus on those eligible for AADCP II funding.
- Provide professional support, training and coaching to ASEC staff in identification, design, appraisal, approval and implementation of AEC implementation support ‘projects’.
- Ensure effective coordination and collaboration with key ASEAN bodies, ASEC Finance,
- Industry & Infrastructure Directorate and Market Integration Directorate and other stakeholders including dialogue partners
- Ensure effective information dissemination, communication and reporting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare strategic and operational work plans for AADCPII and ASEC’s AEC implementation support work based on priorities of the AEC Blueprint and sectoral bodies.
- Develop the strategic vision for AADCPII support to ASEC’s AEC Implementation support work and provide broader support to ASEC as required.
- Prepare, review and update strategic and operational work plans relevant to AADCPII and ASEC’s implementation support work for ASEAN.
- Monitor and examine global and regional developments in the area of economic integration, including relevant social impact issues.
- Assess and report on implications of global and regional developments with respect to prioritizing economic policy for the AEC Blueprint.
- 2. Ensure the effective and efficient identification, design, appraisal and implementation of AEC implementation support ‘projects’, with a particular focus on those eligible for AADCPII funding.
- Give specific attention to ensuring that AEC implementation support projects suitable for AADCP II funding are identified, designed, appraised, approved and effectively managed.
- Develop and maintain a database of AEC implementation support service providers (institutions, companies, consultants).
- Assist in identifying the required resources to implement approved AEC implementation support projects, including support to tendering and contracting out of services where required.
- Ensure quality assurance of the output/product of AEC implementation support projects.
- Ensure results of AEC implementation support projects are appropriately documented, presented and disseminated to relevant ASEAN bodies.
- Assist the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer in the monitoring and evaluation of the effectiveness of AADCPII AEC implementation support projects and the satisfaction of target groups.
- Provide professional support, training and coaching to ASEC staff in identification, design appraisal and implementation of AEC implementation support ‘projects’.
- Support the development and implementation of institutional and personnel capacity development initiatives.
- Conduct training and ongoing coaching to ASEC staff particularly in planning and design of ‘projects’.
- Ensure effective coordination and collaboration with key ASEAN bodies, ASEC Finance, Industry & Infrastructure Directorate and Market Integration Directorate, ASEC Strategic Policy and Coordination Division and other stakeholders including dialogue partners.
- Liaise with relevant ASEAN bodies on economic integration, particularly AEC, SEOM and other related committee/working groups, and provide support to those bodies with respect to AEC implementation support projects and/or programmes.
- Ensure the effective engagement of private sector representative bodies and individuals.
- Serve as resource person in meetings with ASEAN bodies in the area of AEC implementation support.
- Establish contacts and build relationship with non‐ASEAN bodies involved in AEC implementation.
- Ensure effective information dissemination, communication and reporting
- Prepare and provide summary reports of key findings for ASEAN bodies.
- Facilitate substantive elements of workshops/seminars and other appropriate events to support information dissemination.
- Provide regular six‐monthly reports to the Deputy Secretary‐General of ASEAN for AEC or their nominee, on progress in implementing economic policy work plans, issues/constraints arising, and any management action required to support effective implementation of the work programme.
- Ensure AADCP II Program Management Team and Joint Planning and Review Committee information requirements are met.
- Degree in Economics or other relevant discipline.
- Proven experience in development of work plans, project identification, design and implementation in economics or related disciplines.
- Experience in training and coaching in project management in development fields.
- Demonstrated experience working with government officials with a minimum eight (8) years of relevant high‐level experience in a recognised specialised field.
- A sound understanding of international and regional issues, and knowledge of and commitment to ASEAN ideals.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate staff in a complex work environment.
- High‐level interpersonal, negotiation and communication skills, including experience in cross‐cultural environment and international settings.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain sound working relationships with public and private sector organisations and other stakeholders.
- Commitment to teamwork and collaborative work practices.
- Competency in computer skills with adequate knowledge of Microsoft Office and Outlook where relevant to the position.
- Proven ability for accuracy under pressure and adherence to deadlines.
- Excellent command of English, written and spoken.
A salary package will be negotiated commensurable with experience. Upon completion of the probationary period, the candidate will be confirmed for a two‐year contract, inclusive of the six‐month probationary period, in the first instance.
How to apply:
Send your application to AADCP II Admin/Personnel, ASEAN Secretariat, 70A Jalan Sisingamangaraja, Jakarta 12110 or email to: email@example.com highlighting your suitability and potential contribution to the position together with a detailed CV, certified true copies of educational certificates obtained, and completed Employment Application Form with recent photograph, which can be downloaded at http://www.asean.org/19570.htm. Please indicate on the subject heading: Application for Senior Economic Project
Application papers should reach the ASEAN Secretariat by 13 June 2011.
The Selection Committee’s decision is final and only shortlisted candidates will be notified.