ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (UN-HABITAT)
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT) is the United Nations agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable communities, towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
The Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (ROAP) of UN-HABITAT, in Fukuoka, Japan, serves the Asia and Pacific region in the implementation of the Habitat Agenda. The primary responsibility for the implementation and follow up of the Habitat Agenda rests with. The UN-HABITAT ROAP-Fukuoka provides support to individual governments and their national and local partners and monitors progress being made in the region.
For many years, UN-HABITAT has provided Technical Assistance to the Indonesian Government, on issues of housing, urban development and land administration. In the past 10 years, it focused its support on issues of local governance and local economic development. Presently, UN-HABITAT Indonesia is focusing on the following issues, either through on-going programmes or as part of it pipeline development:
- Participation in the joint UN programme development (UNDAP 2011-2014)
- Support to the development of the National Habitat Centre
- Local capacity building through the support to Housing Resource Centres
- Development of housing finance through the Slum Upgrading Facility
- Support to local authorities on City Development Strategies and citywide financing strategies
- Encouraging initiatives on urban environmental governance
- Support the role of cities on climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Capacity building for sustainable solid waste management
- Capacity building for the improvement of household sanitation systems
- Upgrading household sanitation systems
- Reconstruction of housing and settlements after the 2004 Tsunami
- Capacity building of local authorities in Aceh and the Papua provinces
- Gender mainstreaming of consultative processes to overcome land conflict based on Islamic Law principles
- Knowledge management on sustainable urbanisation
- Contingency planning support role in the Protection Cluster for House, Land and Property issue
UN-HABITAT Indonesia is represented by the Habitat Programme Manager, based in Jakarta.
UN-HABITAT also has a Programme Manager for its reconstruction programmes in Aceh and Nias. A fully fledged operational office is still available in Banda Aceh. A Housing Policy Adviser supports pipeline development throughout Indonesia.
The administration of UN-HABITAT is overseen by the Regional Office in Fukuoka. The activities are either administered from the Banda Aceh office or draw on admin support from UNDP Jakarta.
The Admin Assistant supports the administrative activities in UN-HABITAT Jakarta, supports the UN-HABITAT activities in Jakarta, and liaises with UNDP Jakarta for administrative matters and the administrative liaison in Jakarta for the Banda Aceh office.
Under the guidance and supervision of the HABITAT Programme Manager, the Administrative Assistant provides support to office operations performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administrative Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Administrative Assistant works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and projects staff in the CO and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
The functions/duties/ key results of this job description are generic and not all duties are carried out by all Administrative Assistants. Some specialized functions can be implemented by Logistics Assistants (shipments, insurance, deliveries, customs clearance).
1. To support the UN-HABITAT activities in Jakarta, liaise with UNDP Jakarta for administrative matters and be the administrative liaison in Jakarta for the Banda Aceh office, with activities including finance, procurement, protocol matters, travel, support of professional staff and inventory management.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support to effective and efficient functioning of the Agency Support to administrative and logistical services
- Support to office maintenance and assets management
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
2. Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the unit (UN-HABITAT Prgoramme Manager’s office/operations unit/administrative unit), focusing on achievement of the following results:
Perform a range of administrative tasks to support the UN-Habitat Programme in Indonesia including but not limited to:
- Administration and communication on pending matters with Jakarta professional staff and the administrative units of the Banda Aceh, Fukuoka and the UNDP Jakarta offices
- Prompt follow-up for requests for administrative support from the Jakarta, Banda Aceh or Fukuoka substantive or administrative teams
- Up keep Jakarta-based petty cash expenses and reporting for the Habitat Programme Manager and the Housing Policy Adviser, recording and reconciling all the financial transactions outside Aceh and Nias
- Filing all relevant administration documents, electronically and in hard copy
- Up keep the substantive files of the Habitat Programme Manager and Housing Policy Adviser
- Up keep the UN-HABITAT in-office library (electronically and hard copies)
- Organising office cleaning and small maintenance.
- Prepare and forward time sheets of all non-Aceh staff
- Prepare monthly financial reports.
- Prepare monthly payment of utility expenses
- Prepare timely initiation of subscription and lease extensions (monthly, quarterly, yearly, as required)
- Regular follow-up with UN-Habitat Main Office Finance,
- Assist in the processing of contracts with and payments to contractor vendors for good and services.
- Assist in the processing of and contracts with staff and consultants
- Support missions from regional office, head quarters, donors representatives in obtaining security clearances, travel arrangements and meeting appointments and schedules
- Support in-country and international missions of UN-HABITAT Indonesia staff and consultants, on travel, insurance, security clearance, hotels, meeting appointments and schedules
- Support the Habitat Programme Manager and the Housing Policy Adviser in the event of the organisation or the attendance in workshops and exhibitions
- Support all staff of UN-HABITAT Indonesia with protocol and logistical duties (clearing up goods from customs/protocol) in collaboration with relevant units of UNDP, relevant ministries and relevant embassies
- Prepare budget for office overhead, traveling, workshop, seminar and others activity
- Support HPM and Housing Policy adviser in their activities, as requested
1. Provides support to office maintenance and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of records on assets management, preparation of reports.
- Maintenance of files and records relevant to office maintenance
- Provision of support to maintenance of common premises and common services
2. Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participate in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
III. Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the unit. Accurate presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the office and promotes the image of UN/UN-HABITAT as an effective contributor to the development of the country.
- Demonstrates commitment to UN-HABITAT’s mission, vision and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of standard specialized and non-specialized tasks and work processes that are fully documented, researched, recorded and reported
- Ability to review a variety of data, identifies and adjusts discrepancies, identify and resolve operational problems
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
Diploma2 (D2) degree. Certification in administration desirable.
5 years of relevant experience in similar work. Prior Experience with UN-HABITAT, a UN Agency or a large International NGO is required, with preference for prior UN experience, experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply. Only short listed candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline: 18 May 2009